Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Pursuit of Color

I've decided to give this blog another chance. Instead of talking about my own art, I'd like to discuss artists and selected works. I want to know about processes, mediums, utensils, equipment, and inspiration. I've found myself more intrigued on other artists processes and wanting to believe the art that is made. I'm going to start with how we create color and the mediums in which we produce color.

Watercolors. They create an opaque appearance. Almost transparent. It creates natural texture. A wet, yet, grainy feel to the parchment it has been laid on. More water creates more transparency. Less water creates oily textures. It is one of the mediums artist paint with that is difficult to control, yet can create some of the most beautiful colors imaginable.

Watercolors have been around since painting began. It started with mixing water with other pigment sources to spread color on a base. German printmaker Albrecht Durer was an early Renaissance found the medium ideal for small, detailed studies. He creates very realistic images with such a seemingly transparent medium.


No comments:

Post a Comment